On the way to a tobacco- and nicotine-free Switzerland
The Swiss Association for Tobacco Control is the center of competence for tobacco prevention in Switzerland. As an umbrella organization for the promotion of non-smoking, it today comprises over 50 organizational members. AT Switzerland offers its members a broad network of experts and provides expertise on tobacco control and prevention. With evidence-based offers and the networking of the central actors, it is committed to a sustainably healthy and smoke-free Switzerland and at the same time offers the population a hand in quitting smoking and nicotine withdrawal.
An important field of action is the denormalization of the consumption of tobacco and nicotine products. This is because a large part of the population still regards the consumption of lethal tobacco and nicotine products as "normal". Furthermore, the protection of young people is at the center of its work and AT Switzerland would like to encourage smokers on their way to quitting smoking. Finally, AT Switzerland is very concerned to strengthen the protection of the population from passive smoke.
Sign now: for a tobacco-free environment and Europe's first tobacco-free generation
A recently launched European Citizens' Initiative aims to create a tobacco-free environment and Europe’s first tobacco-free generation by 2030. To do this, one million signatures must be collected between 16 January 2023 and 16 January 2024. AT Suisse supports the goal of this project and calls on EU citizens living in Switzerland to sign it.
The smoking pandemic is the leading cause of preventable death. Cigarette butts on beaches cause environmental damage to the ocean and its aquatic animals; in forests they cause fires and contaminate soil and water. To fight against tobacco use, preventing new generations from becoming addicted to tobacco, in addition to taking strong action against the environmental dangers caused by cigarette butts, it is necessary to:
- Promote the first European tobacco-free generation by 2028, ending the sale of tobacco and nicotine products to citizens born since 2010.
- Create a European network of tobacco-free and butt-free beaches and riverbanks, making these spaces healthier and more environmentally sustainable.
- Establish a European network of tobacco-free and butt-free national parks, making them healthier and reducing contamination and the risk of fires.
- Eliminate tobacco advertising and inclusion in audiovisual productions and social media, especially addressing covert advertising through influencers and product placement.
- Extend outdoor smoke- and vapour-free spaces, especially those frequented by minors (parks, swimming pools, sporting events and centres, shows, and restaurant terraces).
- Finance R&D projects for diseases caused by tobacco use to improve their prognoses and render them more curable.
|In a European Citizens' Initiative, all EU citizens can actively participate in shaping EU policy. Anyone who wants the EU to act can launch a European Citizens' Initiative ask the European Commission to propose new legislation in a particular area. For the Commission to consider the matter, one million people in the EU must support the initiative with a valid signature.
This initiative is launched and supported by the European Network for Smoking and Tobacco Prevention (ENSP), an international non-profit organisation headquartered in Belgium. AT Suisse is a member of ENSP.